Court Reporter-Mason Location
Salary: $58,464.41 Annually
Location: Mason, MI
Job Type: Regular Full Time
Remote Employment: Flexible/Hybrid
Department: Circuit Court/Mason
Job Number: 202200156
**Applications are accepted until there are sufficient numbers of qualified applications or qualified candidate has been identified. The position could possibly close at any time.***
“Potential for remote work or a hybrid schedule for court proceedings, except in bench or jury trials or any civil proceeding wherein the testimony of witnesses or presentation of evidence may occur, will be considered.”
Under the supervision of a Circuit/Family Court Judge, serves as an official court stenographer making verbatim records of all court proceedings. Prepares typed transcripts of records and maintains related files. May provide instant real-time translation.
- Maintains the official court record of the court proceedings, including identification of speakers, notations of exhibits or drawing of diagrams. May mark and maintain exhibits depending on the Judge's preference per case.
- Prepares and produces a hard copy transcript on request or for appellate purposes by editing and proofreading computerized stenographic notes.
- Ensures the accuracy of the spoken word, including legal, medical, and technical terminology, in order to provide an accurate verbatim transcript.
- May provide instant real-time translations.
- Reads portions of the transcript during a trial on the judge's request. Asks speakers to clarify inaudible statements as necessary.
- Records, files and maintains court proceedings taken down on computer disk and steno notepaper.
- Prepares and submits required certificates and affidavits of transcript mailings to appellate court and other parties.
- Responds to miscellaneous correspondence and telephone inquiries providing information and assistance.
- Performs various other support tasks as requested by the judge or judicial staff.
Performs other duties as assigned
(An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the above tasks. These examples do not include all of the tasks which the employees may be expected to perform.)
Education: Completion of an approved course in court reporting.Experience
: Two or more years of reporting experience with a minimum of one year involving verbatim transcription in a courtroom setting.
Michigan Court Reporting Certification.
(The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.)
Requirements and Working Conditions
- Ability to withstand prolonged periods of sitting in court, monitoring and operating recording equipment and/or computer screen while transcribing.
- Ability to access the courtroom and court offices.
- Ability to lift and carry files of notes and other materials.
(This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the requirements listed above. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements.)Working Conditions:
- Works performed in office conditions and in the courtroom.
- Exposure to persons charged or convicted of criminal offenses.